Government Notice: Please be advised that the Department of Immigration is currently undertaking a project to improve our processes and services to the public. Some of the benefits that this project will deliver include faster application turnaround time along with an improved customer communication channel. With this in mind, we crave your understanding and patience as we work to provide a first-class immigration service.
If you have a Permanent Resident’s Certificate (PRC), you have the right to live and work in Bermuda and to purchase Bermuda property with a lower Annual Rental Value (ARV).
The Bermuda Immigration and Protection Amendment Act 2021 will be brought into force on 1 December 2021.
The Department of Immigration will begin accepting applications under the provisions of the amended legislation on January 1, 2022.
The 2021 amendment act enables certain long term residents to apply for a permanent resident’s certificate.
You can submit an application for a Permanent Resident Certificate from January 1, 2022 if:
- You have been ordinarily resident in Bermuda for a period of at least 20 years, including the two immediately preceding his application;
- You have been ordinarily resident in Bermuda for a period of at least 15 years, including the two immediately preceding his application if he is a non-Bermudian parent of a son or daughter who possesses Bermudian status;
- You are the son, daughter or spouse of a person who was granted a PRC.
Under Section 31A, you may apply to the Minister of Immigration for a PRC if:
- You have been exempted from Part V of the Bermuda Immigration and Protection Act 1956, under section 5 of the Economic Development Act 1968 for at least 10 years;
- You have been ordinarily resident in Bermuda for a period of at least 10 years; and
- You have been ordinarily resident in Bermuda during the 2 years immediately preceding this application.
Under Section 31B, you may also apply to the Minister for a PRC if you are:
- You are the son or daughter of a person who has been granted a PRC under Section 31A, and you are above the upper limit of compulsory school age; or
- You are the spouse of a person who has been granted a PRC under Section 31A, but you do not qualify for the grant of a PRC or Status.
For further information see http://www.bermudalaws.bm/ for the Bermuda Immigration and Protection Act, 1956 and the PRC application form.
The Department of immigration will only accept payment via bank transfers or online payments. Refer to the guidance below for all payments.
You can apply for a Permanent Resident Certificate if you fulfil all the requirements below. You must:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Have been ordinarily resident in Bermuda for a period of at least 15 or 20 years;
- Be of good conduct and character.
Online Payments Guidance
- The client will complete the application(s)
- Deposit or transfer fees into Immigrations HSBC bank account
- Include confirmation of transfer, receipt or screen shot on mobile phone that payment has been processed.
- Applications will be placed in the Immigration drop box on the First Floor of the government Administration Building.
Bank account details:
BMD - 010125243001
USD - 010125243501
Online Reference Description: Required for all transactions
Name DOB application type
Joe Doe, 01/12/65, PRC
On application for a permanent resident's certificate under section 31A
On application for a permanent resident's certificate under section 31B
|Permanent Resident’s Certificate under 31ZA
|Permanent Resident’s Certificate under 31ZB
How to apply
In order to make an application for Repatriation & Mixed Status Families legislative amendments the following steps must be taken:
- Visit the department of immigration website: https://www.gov.bm/department/immigration
- Identify the application of interest then select from list of processes
- Applications must be downloaded from the website and fully completed.
- When making payment, please note that all payments of application fees will be via online banking. The Department of Immigration will no longer accept cash or credit card payments.
- eg FULL NAME, DOB, Type of Application i.e. JOHN DOE 27 MAY 1978 PRC (View all Immigration Fees and online payment guidance)
- Make a copy of the online payment receipt and include with your application submission
- A member of the Immigration Team will contact each applicant to advise if items are missing by email, once all items are submitted and the Application is deemed complete the applicant will be duly advised along with the expected timelines.
Should you have any queries regarding Permanent Resident’s Certificates, please contact the Department at (441) 246-8093.