How to raise a complaint about the Ministry of Home Affairs

The Ministry of Home Affairs comprises Ministry Headquarters, the Department of Energy, the Department of Planning, the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources, the Registry General and Consumer Affairs.  We all strive to provide high-quality services. 

If there are any occasions when any of us have not met your expectations, you may wish to raise a complaint with us.  We see complaints as an opportunity to learn and improve our services and procedures for the future, as well as a chance to put things right for the person who makes a complaint.  We welcome all suggestions on how to improve our service.

What can I complain about?

You can raise a complaint with us about our work, staff, levels of service, and our legislative responsibilities. There are some complaints we are unable to handle, including those:

  • requiring investigation by a professional board (such as the Architects Registration Council or the Professional Surveyors Registration Council)
  • involving the Regulatory Authority of Bermuda, the Corporation of Hamilton, the Corporation of St. George or the Parish Councils (who should be contacted directly)
  • where legal action has commenced
  • involving internal personnel or human resource matters;
  • regarding internal operational support services for the Ministry, e.g. accounts

Who can raise a complaint?

Anyone who is using, or has used, Ministry services or a member of the public can complain. If you are unable to complain in person then an advocate may help you through the process.

When can I raise a complaint?

It is important to raise the complaint as soon as possible after the event.

How do I raise a complaint?

A complaint may be submitted in person, by phone, by email or in writing. If you speak to us, we may be able to resolve your complaints quickly and with a happy resolution.

Where do I direct my complaint?

Please ensure you direct your complaint to the appropriate department and section. Make sure that you contact the officer closest to your complaint FIRST, rather than the

or the

so that they may try to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible.  If you are not sure which department or section should review your complaint, contact us on 297-7950.

How long should I expect to wait for a resolution to my complaint?

The officer closest to your complaint will be in the best position to help, and this will allow us to resolve the issue as quickly as possible, often straight away. 

If you have left a message with your contact information, a brief summary of your complaint and any other necessary information, the officer will contact you within 3 days to follow up.

If your complaint requires research, the officer will notify you of this and will provide you with either a resolution or an update within 21 days of your complaint.

What do I do if I am still not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the resolution within the section, you may submit a written complaint to the

. This should be the Department most closely associated with your complaint. The Head of the Department may ask the most appropriate officer to handle your complaint.

The written complaint must include:

  • a clear description of why you are dissatisfied
  • a clear description of the outcome you are looking for
  • an email or mailing address for receiving information about your complaint
  • a signature

The Head of the Department will acknowledge your complaint within five days of receipt, with information about:

  • who is handling the complaint
  • potential steps if there is an investigation
  • estimated time for resolution
  • a copy of our Complaints Procedure

You will receive a resolution or an update on your complaint within 21 days of receipt of the complaint.

Can I make an appeal?

Yes, if you are unsatisfied with the resolution at any level, a written appeal may be submitted to the


Your appeal will be acknowledged within five days and the previous resolution(s) will be reviewed, and a resolution will be provided within 21 days of receipt of the appeal.

Can I have an independent review?

If you remain unsatisfied with our ability to address your complaints, you may take them to the Ombudsman.  Information about the kind of complaints the Ombudsman handles and how they are resolved can be found on their website at: